Origin of Thin Slate
Thin Slate is a revolutionary natural stone veneer developed in Germany that is less than 2 mm thick, created by splitting some of the most beautiful slate and quartzite slabs from around the world. These thin layers of stone are bonded to a polyester and fiberglass backing to create strong, yet flexible pieces of stone, unlike anything ever created before. While maintaining the same characteristics of traditional natural stone tiles and slabs, Thin Slate has created an unprecedented number of applications for stone with its light weight, flexibility, durability, and natural beauty. Thin Slate is a green and eco-friendly product! This eco-friendly orientation takes place in each step from the natural stone block to your final project. Choosing the right blocks, preparing the blocks for the manufacturing process, applying the backing the right way, doing the quality control and sorting the material so it is ready for transportation to places all over the world is the long way our product has to travel and we want to make sure to produce the highest quality possible, by taking care of our environment.
Thin Slate CLASSIC is a thin sheet ( from 1 - 1 1/2 mm )
composed of real Ardesia or Mica with a backing of polyester resin and fiber glass. It weighs approximately 0.5 lbs. per square foot and is suitable for many uses ; indoor and outdoor, flooring, coating panels, plasterboard, and infinite other applications.
- 100 % natural stone, fused onto a polyester and fiberglass backing.
- Ultra-light weight of less than 0.5 lbs. per square foot
- Thickness range of 1-2 mm
- Flexible nature allows installation of radius applications
- Standard size of 12” x 24” and 24” x 48” sheets
- Stronger than standard slate tiles due to reinforced polyester and fiberglass backing
- Can be directly applied to aluminum, concrete, wood, cement, ceramic tile, stone tile, gypsum, MDF, dry wall, and many other smooth surfaces
- Suitable for freeze/thaw climates
- Waterproof backing
- Indoor, outdoor, floors, and walls
- Boats, RV’s, elevators, pools, and spas
- Doors, cabinets, and many other types of furniture
- Indoor and outdoor facades and cladding bathrooms, kitchens and feature walls.
- Light weight property allows for easy transportation
- Easy to handle and install with do-it-yourself tools found in most homes
- Can be applied over preexisting surfaces, reducing installation time and cost
- More environmentally friendly than traditional stone tiles due to reduced transportation costs and less waste
- Easy application on corners and radius applications
- Flexibility can be increased by applying hear with hair dryer or heat gun
- Single boxes with up to 200 square feet and pallets with 2,100 square feet
- Ability to ship about 90,000 square feet in standard 20’ shipping containers.
- Compact packing and light weight allows for easy storage
- Less packing material required reduces cost